A statement from the National Federation of Parks and Green Spaces on 16 March 2020:
“Community groups to keep serving our communities”
Many people are thinking about what we can all do during this public health crisis to help each other and our communities. ‘What’ and ‘how’ need further discussion everywhere. Existing community groups are vowing to try to do what they can, and many new hyper-local mutual aid and solidarity groups seem to be springing up everywhere, which is to be welcomed.
For all of us, in every street, block of flats and neighbourhood, these are some of the things we can do to help the situation:
– spread good practice based on public health guidelines, regarding hygiene, distancing and advice/health helplines, etc
– encourage people to support each other if vulnerable, or in self-isolation
– try to ensure everyone has access to basic food needs etc
– try to ensure people can look after their kids OK if schools etc close
– try to ensure people who lose wages etc don’t face destitution or any threat of eviction from their homes etc
– support the hard-working and over-stretched emergency workers (eg health staff)
– keep general morale up
This is going to be a massive challenge for everyone. Please look after yourselves and each other.
Dave Morris (Chair, National Federation of Parks and Green Spaces)